Thanks for the congratulations on my news. My fella and I are so happy and excited, especially after the struggles we have had trying to accomplish what so many people manage to do by accident! The past 18 months have been incredibly challenging and when I look back to this time last year - we had just found out we would never conceive without intervention and I was trying to get my head around having to give myself injections (when I would have fillings at the dentist without anaesthetic just to avoid a needle!) - I can't believe how everything has worked out. I know we beat the odds big time and I will never stop being grateful for that. I dare say next year will be very different again, with a whole new set of challenges and I can't wait!
So, despite weighing exactly what I weighed 16 weeks ago I have gone up by 2 bra sizes and sprouted a pretty obvious belly already. Something to do with my not exactly having abs of steel to start with I suppose. Regardless, I have found myself with an extreme shortage of clothes, including a party/Christmas dress. Enter Patrones Easy (7) model 31 - this magazine also has some maternity patterns so you may see more from this issue yet.
|From the magazine|
|Ugh, sorry for the squinty face|
|Back view, with breeze!|
- Moved the zip to centre back so I could somewhat centre the border design.
- Cut a size 42 bodice and band, and 48 skirt, then just pleated the excess into the band.
- Added about 1cm to the length of the front bodice.
- Switched the front and back necklines - I think this could be an error on the pattern sheet, as the front is higher than the back, and much higher than the picture if you use the pattern as is.
- Narrowed the band by about half or maybe more, and omitted the ribbon and casing. You can see the band still wrinkled with wear but I don't suppose there is much that can be done about that (it's not wonky in real life I promise).
As to construction I underlined the bodice and band pieces with silk organza (using the lining pattern for the front and mounting the gathered front bodice onto it) and pleated the skirt randomly instead of gathering.
Considering I had to pull this together quickly (I traced, toilled and cut on the previous Sunday, worked an hour or so most evenings the week before Christmas and finished it 10 minutes before I needed to put it on for lunch on Christmas Eve) I am happy with how it turned out and the minor fit niggles are not too bad considering. It was comfortable to eat a big meal on a fairly hot day and I think it flatters the bump without entirely obscuring it.
I am on holidays until the 9th of January and desperately need both work and casual clothes, so with luck I will be able to churn out a few basic before going back to work. I also have a couple of knitting projects on the go and a backlog of a few garments still to post (waiting to photograph!) so while I have the free time I will attempt to update my blog a bit more regularly.
I hope everyone had a safe and merry Christmas and are looking forward to the new year as much as me!