Wednesday 26 March 2008

Short notice costume parties!

First of all sincere apologies for my absence. I’m not sure if anyone other than me noticed I haven’t posted in ages but I feel I should acknowledge it anyway! I’ve had plumbing problems (the actual type NOT a euphemism lol), an embarrassing backlog of housework and several social engagements to contend with. Not that I’m complaining. It is beyond me how women all over the world manage to run households, raise children, sew kick-ass outfits for themselves and keep their blogs up to date.

Anyhow, last Wednesday night I received a party invitation in the post – for Friday night! Short notice at the best of times but this was fancy dress. Having studied costume for three years I take this topic, justifiably I think, very seriously. The theme – Degrassi Junior High.

Oh the horror! Anyone who lived through the fashion vacuum that was the 80’s would tell you IT WASN’T THAT GREAT! Seriously, my year 12 ball was in 1986 and it was hideous. Still with a positive attitude I considered my options:

  1. Make something – no way, I have so many projects started, waiting to start or almost finished that it is ridiculous. I could not justify spending my entire Good Friday sewing something for just one night. The last fancy dress I went to I produced a medieval princess and a Viking in only 4 days – but it really put my Christmas present making behind schedule. So my only choice was:
  2. Op-shopping. Usually I am a total failure at this so I was dubious, especially given the short notice. I finished work at 2.30 on Thursday and raced to the two op shops on the way to my fella’s house – nothing. So I picked him up and we screamed over to the next closest shop, about 15 minutes drive away. By this time it was 4.10 and the shop closed at 5. My blood pressure was extremely high by now. I grabbed a skirt, belt and handbag without trying anything on and my fella found some hideous pale blue high-pant jeans and a spotty shirt to coordinate with my skirt. Twenty eight dollars later we were done…

    The party was pretty good too. Here’s a pic.

    Doesn’t my fella look classy with his beer and ciggie?

    On a more serious note I do have many many more interesting projects to update on and I’ll try to get to them ASAP. Bye for now

No comments: