Friday 11 February 2011

V8634 - Knit top with cowl collar

I am very pleased to show you another success story. There is not much to say about this so I'll let the pattern review do the talking...


Pattern Description:
Raglan sleeve top with 'cowl' collar.  It's not strictly a cowl but rather an extended turtle neck or something - I don't really know how to describe it.

Pattern Sizing:
x-small, small, medium, large etc. I cut a straight medium.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes they were fine although I stabilised the shoulder seams with iron-on bias tape which is not covered in the instructions. Most of the construction I did with my overlocker (serger). I tried to do the hems with a twin needle but my machine was having none of that so I ended up just doing a long and narrow zig zag.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
Love the shape of the collar. I was concerned it might be boxy but somehow the seam on the front gives it a good shape.

The neck seam does tend to roll out a bit with the weight of the collar but it is not noticeable in this print. In a heavier fabric I might attach bias binding to the seamline and topstitch it down to disguise the seam and flatten it out - just a thought.

Fabric Used:
A drapey knit. I don't enjoy sewing with knits so I only buy then when they are super-cheap!

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
None, for once I made it straight out of the envelope and there were no fit problems.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes, I can see myself making a long sleeved version in winter, and perhaps one in a sweater knit.

Conclusion:
This is a nice fitting t-shirt with added flair. Here's the back.

5 comments:

gwensews said...

That's a great little top amd it looks wonderful on you. Nice sewing!

Yvonne said...

Looks great! I'm a failure at sewing...and I'm about to give up! :)

Myra said...

Really nice! I have this pattern and made it in a solid color. I much prefer it in a print as you did!

Gail said...

I love cowl necklines, so flattering. You've done a great job and I love your fabric choice.

Anonymous said...

I want to spray cum all over that skirt