Wednesday 16 January 2008

Awards Dress made September 2007



I was lucky enough to go to the Western Australian Fashion Awards dinner in September last year. The designer I work for had two dresses in the bridal category and I drafted the pattern and mostly made one of them - one of my proudest moments! Anyway, I had nothing to wear and no money to buy anything suitable for a 'fashion' event so making something was my only option. Given my financial status I was limited to using bits and pieces I had laying around the house. Here's what I came up with.


I used Vogue pattern 8235 view A with some modifications. I cut the skirt full length and without the frill on the bottom. The bodice was constructed from shapewell and boned (I couldn't find a strapless plunge bra to wear underneath) and the covered with the fabric and lace. The back skirt was closed with an invisible zip but I put covered buttons and loops on the bodice. Finally I lined the whole dress instead of just the bodice. I had to add the sash as an after thought as it did look a bit 'maternity'. In hindsight I think the secret with this kind of style is to get the fit very close under the bust and to pleat the skirt in rather than gathering - a sash or flat band helps too!

The fabric is a John Kaldor polyester chiffon that I've had for years - I think he has retired now, shame he was one of my favourite fabric designers. The lining is a cream polyester charmeuse and the lace overlay is a knit lace (I bought 20cm for another project and then changed my mind!).
The photo doesn't really do it justice - the dial on my dress dummy is in exactly the wrong spot! Unfortunately it was all a bit rushed on the day and I didn't get a photo of me all done up in it.

No comments: