Friday 5 September 2008

Spring has Sprung

I've taken a break from my black coat to whip up my first spring project - New Look 6755.

I can't say I'm overly thrilled with the result, but it's wearable with a camisole underneath. I only have to do an FBA very occasionally and it never occurred to me that I might need to make one on a style like this, but this pattern really needs it! I came across another review that had the same problem, so it's not just me. Here it is on my (B cup) dummy.


Overall it's a cute style but I have a few niggles with the pattern.

First, I don't get all the lazy shortcuts in construction these days. Sure bias binding is a great way to finish armholes and necklines in lightweight fabrics, but this top would look so much better with a proper facing (IMHO). I ironed stay tape to the front edges (which is not suggested in the instructions) and it hasn't stretched or buckled or anything, I just think it would look smoother with a facing. Ditto the back neck. Anything with a collar looks better when the neckline is faced, it just supports the weight better. Plus, edging the front edge with bias means you have to finish the collar around the outside of the front edge - it's pretty tricky to get that looking good - see below for example. Lucky I have long hair which I almost never tie up!

While I'm on the collar, I had to shorten it by 5cm in total to fit it onto the neckline. Granted I cut this top out on the living room floor, at night and while watching TV, but I'm pretty sure I cut the right size. Strangely I ended up with a nicer shaped collar anyay so I don't mind too much.

Finally, here's a look at the side tie. I originally made ties from fabric but the top really lacked something, so I replaced them with white grosgrain ribbon. I think it really lifts the whole thing up.
My black coat is cut out and prepared, I hope to really make a dent in it this weekend.

1 comment:

Tany said...

What a beautiful top, Josie! Well done!