Friday 21 January 2011

Cupcake Apron

A co-worker of mine has a friend whose little girl loves cooking.  For Christmas she was given a toy kitchen which she loves but her Mum couldn't find any aprons to fit - she is only 2.  I was enlisted to have a go at making one that would fit so my friend could give to the little girl for her birthday this week.

I used BWOF 07-2008-137 (a baby's romper) for the bib part and this template for the skirt and pocket (I cut the top off and added 8cm total width in the centre front so I had enough to gather).  For the frill and straps I used strips of the  contrast fabric which I folded in half (frill) or sewed into a tube (straps).  I made two small loops (straight grain, folded in the edges and top stitched) and attached them just above where the skirt joins the bodice to thread the straps through. Also I bagged out the bib for neatness and topstitched in a three-step zig zag to jazz it up a bit (any fancy stitch would work). It probably took me an hour and a half or so from start to finish.



I think this is probably the cutest thing I have ever made and so far everyone (me, my friend and the Mum) has loved it.  It's the little girl's birthday today and I can't wait to hear her reaction.

2 comments:

sewistafashionista said...

That is just as cute as a button! What adorable fabric.

gwensews said...

How cute! She'll love playing in her kitchen with that new apron! I made a chef type apron for my little grandson, and he wears it when he cooks with his dad.