Thursday, 2 July 2009

M5746 The Lucky Dress (I hope)

The pattern is McCalls M5476.

(Sorry about the unflatering shaft of light - it was a really sunny day).
Pattern Description:
Dresses A, B, C are slim-fitting and have lined bodice, front and back darts, back slit and back zipper; dress A has collar with pleats, self carrier and contrast tie ends; dress B has collar with pleats and cap sleeves; dress C has gathered sleeves and ribbon belt; lengths are 1" above mid-knee.


Pattern Sizing:
4-12. I cut a 12 at the top grading to a 14ish at the waist and hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, except for my minor changes.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
They were fine, I only glanced at them and used a slightly different construction method (because I lined the skirt and used an invisible zip).

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love the radiating darts mostly, although they don't really show up on my fabric as much as I thought they would.

The cap sleeves are cute too but I do get a tiny bit of armpit cleavage which isn't so great - but I think that's because I didn't do an fba.

Fabric Used:
Rayon poly lycra blend with a little stretch to it. I lined it in acetate.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I graded out at the waist and hips, lengthened the skirt to just below my knee, converted the back split to a vent and made a sway back alteration.

[As an aside, I have always had major trouble with the sway back thing. It is only during the construction of this dress that I finally worked out I needed to make my alteration above the waist and not below it. This is why skirts and pants fit fine but blouses always look a bit weird!]

Anyway, I also altered the collar significantly. I used the original pattern piece but cut it so I would have a finished width of an inch. When I sewed it in place onto the neckline I snipped the seam allowance on the left side of the front bodice so the band would fold back onto the bodice. I held it in place with three vintage buttons that someone gave me in return for hemming his jeans.

Oh, and I also lined the skirt.

I didn't do an fba and if anyone figures out how to do one on this style please let me know!

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes and yes. I think this style would work for many occasions depending on the fabric chosen.

Conclusion:
I wore this to work on a special day and I hope to find out soon if it's now my lucky dress!

11 comments:

Kristy said...

even if it doesn't turn out to be your lucky dress it is definately your 'fabulous and gorgeous' dress! Those three buttons and the narrow belt really make the outfit great. I hope your luck came through on the day you wore this

Adrienne said...

SUPERB!!!! I made this last year in wool crepe and now I want to make it again in a lighter fabric!! You look stunning!!!

Cindy said...

What a classic! Good luck. Thanks for the details too.

harbourmaster said...

you look beautiful jo! this is gorgeous, i love what you've done with the buttons. good luck for the lucky thing.

peacockchic said...

Very nice and such a flattering fit. You did a wonderful job! Hope the dress is as lucky as you needed it to be.

Rachel said...

That is such an elegant dress. It looks great on you!!

gold said...

What a elegant looking dress! Love the fabric!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Beautiful!
I hope it was your lucky dress after all :)

Linda said...

Looks great. I made this dress with cowl neckline. I did do a FBA and put the dart at the armscye. Go here and hopefully you can see what I did. I really like this dress and always like to see how others have made it. http://danvillegirl.blogspot.com/2008/12/updated-photos.html

I like your neckline, the cowl neck is too much fabric and was hard to get it to fit right.

ooh!WEE Boutique said...

i love it! love the fabric and especially the fit of it. great elegant dress!

Tany said...

Great looking dress, very elegant!